- 2010 Entrepreneur of the Year, Oakville Awards for Business Excellence
- 2009 Restaurateur of the Year, Oakville Awards for Business Excellence
- 2008 Halton Woman of the Year
- 2008 Oakville Athena Award
As much as is practical, I try to factor in ethical considerations. As the business becomes stronger it will be able to afford to push this further.
Importantly, artists and musicians and the staff also feel that they are treated ethically. That is why they so frequently refer other musicians and artists to come here, and why they themselves come back.
Also importantly, I am committed to supporting the groups and organizations that maintain the social fabric of the community. See the CJ's Supports and Community Pages for more information about this.
Overall, people associate the business as an extension of myself, and having worked for community agencies for 15 years before going into business, ethical and community considerations are top-of-mind.
“Not Just a Pretty Place…” CJ’s Café in Bronte is Helping the Planet and Your Body to Be Healthier
Many people are concerned these days about reducing their carbon footprint and solving environmental problems. There is also a lot of consciousness about creating good health, not just battling illnesses. Our daily choices make a difference—for the planet and our bodies.
Here is a list of some of the things I am doing to become more environmentally responsible and to take care for your health:
Better for the Planet
- Buying organic —100% of my coffees are Fair Trade & Organic; 100% of my espresso is Fair Trade & Organic (espresso is what goes in all your lattes etc); 50% of the teas are organic; 100% of our yerba mate teas are organic, as well as some of our treats.
- Reducing energy-use by 10% in each of the last 3 years
- Reducing food wastage to almost zero —food at CJ’s is made fresh on demand, unlike other places that throw out unbought sandwiches every day
- Controlling wastage — coffee sleeves, serviettes, bags and plastic utensils are given only as needed
- Controlling excess packaging—no throw-away portion packs for white sugar, milk, cream, butter, peanut butter, honey or mayo
- Re-using washable cups, plates and utensils
- Choosing non-plastics—cold drink cups are not plastic—they are biodegradable and compostable
- Creating more recycling - thanks to partnering with Licks next door, we now recycle cans and bottles as well as cardboards
- Encouraging reuse - CJ gives 10 cents off to those who bring in their own travel mug rather than taking a paper cup; CJ also give 25 cents off to those who bring back their coffee bag for buying ground coffee or coffee beans
Better for Your Health
CJ’s menu has been created to nourish your body, as well as to please your senses and fill your tummy!
- Vegan and vegetarian options are available
- Gluten-free bread and lactose free milk are available
- Bread, wraps and English Muffins are always whole wheat
- Only real, fresh eggs are used in the breakfasts
- Baked goods have no trans-fats
- Good-For-You Muffins are high in Omega 3’s
- Only half-fat mayonnaise is used in the sandwiches · Decaffeinated coffees are decaffeinated using the Swiss water process, not chemicals
- Organic products, so you can reduce chemical exposure